Clearing clutter ready to move your home………..
You are moving house in the near future, so now is the best time to begin sorting out what you will take. If you have lived in the same place for a while, chances are that there will be a little clutter.
So, how do you clear the clutter and get ready to move?
Step 1 – Think about everything in your house and organise it into the following. This is often called the 4-box method and you do it room by room throughout your house.
Box 1 – Items you wish to keep and take with you
Box 2 – Items you wish to donate
Box 3 – Items you wish to sell
Box 4 – Items you wish to throw away
Step 2 – Get rid of box’s 2, 3 and 4 ASAP.
Drop off your donations to a local charity for them to sell or give to those in need. Unwanted, clothing, books, and furniture that are better off with someone else.
Place your items/furniture for sale on websites like Gumtree or eBay so they can be sold before you move. The last thing you want to do is move items that you are not keeping anyway. The extra cash you make can help pay for the removals to your new home.
Lastly, take a trip or two to your local rubbish tip with those items that cannot be donated or sold. If you are lucky you may have a council clean up where you can put your items out for collection.
Step 3 – Now you can see exactly what you have and wish to keep you can begin packing ready for the move. Your removalist costs should be cheaper, and you will be ready to start a new chapter in your new home. Make sure too that if you are buying new furniture, arrange the delivery directly, to the new property.
Simple Clutter Clearing Tips
- Reduce paper and arrange for as many bills as you can to be sent by email.
- Take baby steps in clearing one shelf first or one cupboard before moving to the whole room.
- Label boxes for donations, selling or rubbish.
- Once a box is full do with it what is on the box so you don’t just stack up boxes everywhere.
- Schedule a day or a weekend to decluttering.
- Anything you are keeping – make sure it has a home.
- Ensure your spaces are used well and are useful.
- Remember the cabinets, bathroom, kitchen etc. they also need to be cleared out on a regular basis. Check the expiry dates in the pantry.
- Declutter your clothes as well; if you haven’t worn it in the last season, you probably won’t wear it again. Donate it to someone else.
John Bull Removals and Storage are your local professionals so make sure you contact us for an obligation free quote for your next local or interstate move.