Your essential guide to moving house
Our top hints and tips to ensure a stress-free move…
We have put together 30 years of removalist experience to bring you the following hints and tips on making your move as stress-free and quick as possible. It can be very easy to get disorganised when you are moving but if you use our printable step-by-step move planner you will be off to a great start!
If you are packing your possessions yourself
- Use only standard tea chests and book boxes obtained from your removalist
- If it fits in a box, put it in a box
- Use nothing smaller than a book box
- Striped shopping bags and heavy duty garbage bags are acceptable for soft items such as bedding or clothes
- Do not use archive boxes as they are not strong enough
- Do not pack in open top boxes or baskets
- Use butchers paper not newspaper as it may mark your possessions
- Fill boxes to 5cm from the top and fill with crushed paper to ensure the contents do not move within the box
- Firmly tape flat the top and bottom of boxes
- If you cannot lift the box when full by the open flaps without them ripping it is too heavy
- Spread weight amongst boxes; have two or three boxes open at a time while packing.
- Wrap small and fragile items
- Pack glasses, china and other fragile items in book boxes
- Pack books, magazines and CDs in book boxes
- Remove shades and globes from lamps and pack in a box
- Plastic storage boxes are prone to breakage and are best in a box if possible or empty with no lid
- Wrap paintings and mirrors and pack vertically in boxes. Mark box “PAINTINGS – KEEP UPRIGHT”. If they are too big for a box we will wrap them , see this short video for some tips on packing your precious pieces.
- Remove bed legs and fittings from bedrails, tape slats
- Remove mirror arms from dressing tables
- Clean and wrap barbeque plates and burners and pack in a book box
- Stack boxes away from furniture so that our removalists have easy access to furniture
- Clearly mark the room destination on top and at least one side of every box
- Check your insurance cover – self-packing may not be covered by your insurer
- If you don’t have time to pack yourself, we offer a pre-packing service
- Pack a ‘First-night survival kit’ containing all of your essential for your first night in your new home- kitchen items, toiletries, bed linen, nightwear, clothing, children’s favourite toys/food, pet needs, tea/coffee, cups, bowls, cutlery, toaster and kettle.
Preparing for your removalists
- Furniture – remove cobwebs, dust; do not polish or oil
- Fridges & freezers – empty, clean, dry and secure according to the manufacturers’ instructions
- Washing machines – disconnect, drain, dry and secure according to the manufacturers’ instructions
- Tools – sheathe saws, axes, forks, picks etc. Tape items into manageable bundles
- Paint, chemicals and unemptied gas bottles – we cannot move these
- Plants – do not water. Remove mulch and pebbles. For ceramic or concrete pots over 500mm high or wide, remove plant, place plant in hessian bag and secure the top of the bag
- Access – trim or tie back trees that overhang your driveway to enable free access for our trucks; remove moss and mould from paths and steps
Prior to your move
- Advise neighbours if their access is to be affected.
- If our removalists are unable to park on your property, secure a suitable loading area as close as possible to your house – 3 to 5 parking spots
- Purchase Removal Insurance through John Bull to ensure that your belonging are protected whilst in transit.
- When our removalists arrive ensure they know where to park their vehicles
- If you are unable to be present ensure that you appoint an agent to act on your behalf
- Walk around the house with our removalists to show them exactly what you want done
- Pack yourself a survival kit with toiletries, tea, coffee, milk and other drinks
- Collect all house keys
- Check all cupboards and storage areas (inside and outside) to ensure nothing has been left behind
At your new house
- Locate all keys to your new house
- Check that gas, electricity, water and telephone are connected
- Turn on hot water system
- Ensure your pets are safe and out of the way of our removalists
- Have our removalists place heavy furniture in the room and position that you want it
- Make yourself a cup of tea or coffee / pour yourself a drink, relax and congratulate yourself on the choice of John Bull Removals & Storage for a stress-free move!
- When you find your laptop in the box marked ‘laptop’ take some time to leave a review on your experience with John Bull on Facebook, Product Review or Google+
On the day of your move
- Have a large and small box open and ready for any items left lying around
- Pack yourself a survival kit with first aid kit, toiletries, tea, coffee, milk, snacks, cups and other drinks
- Have mop or sponge to clean up water leaks from fridge, freezer or washing machine
On arrival and unpacking
- Be available to advise your removalist where you would like your possessions placed
- Slice tape on boxes with a knife – damaged boxes are not refundable
- Order a takeaway and enjoy your new home!