Relocating to a different state can be a lot of work and quite overwhelming. With the right advice, a big move doesn’t have to be a big headache.
Moving, in general, can be stressful but when you are doing a big interstate move, it can feel so much harder. In some cases, it can take up to a week for your goods to arrive which can add to the stresses. On top of the cost and time, you have the added pain of moving kids to a new school, changing your electoral roll address and changing your car registration.
When moving interstate, bringing in experts to help move can be well worth the expense!
Tip: Professional packers and unpackers save time
It is becoming common for interstate moves to include professional packing services to save time. We can unpack and set up your new home when the containers have been delivered.
Example: “Our professional packers can pack up a family home in one day, rather than a week or more by one person. Packers also unpack cartons – which is defined as “unpacking contents onto flat surfaces”, not putting away in cupboards and bookshelves – at the destination.”
Note: With the majority of interstate moves relating to work, the employer often picks up the tab – including packing!
Avoid overstuffing boxes
If you are doing the packing yourself, there are a few points to remember, especially if you are moving with limited available time.
- People tend to “over-pack”, meaning they have far too many boxes and effectively pay to move excess material.
- Others, do not disperse weight within the boxes, which means some can be too heavy.
- To avoid this do not put many heavy items in each carton.
- Also, minimise using packing materials by utilising bed sheets, rugs and pillows around breakable items.
- And, don’t forget to label boxes in detail. There is nothing worse than trying to rummage through multiple boxes when you need something. This will also make it easier to avoid putting breakables at the bottom of the pile during the move.
Remember that professional packers are trained to pack in a way that avoids breakages with a move!
How to move interstate on a budget?
Moving long distances will cost, but there are a few ways to help minimise the hip-pocket hit.
- Purge before you pack to reduce the amount you are moving
- Use a trustworthy company and get quotes in writing
- Don’t move during peak seasons
- Have your new house ready to avoid added storage costs
- Throw a garage sale to lighten the load and raise money to put toward moving costs
If you have any questions or need help to arrange your next move – contact the team at John Bull Removals and Storage.