You may have lived in your home for just a few years or you may have lived there for many decades. When it comes time to move, chances are there will be a few or many extra items that you may not want to take with you. The tricky part is knowing where to start!
Declutter definition: ‘to organise and prioritise your possessions’
Moving house is the perfect time to do just that – organise and prioritise your possessions. You have to touch everything in your home to move so it is the ideal time to get rid of all those items you have forgotten about or that won’t add value to your life in your new home. Moving to a new home can be a new start or at least a time for a change.
- Start small – just one room or one draw at a time so that you don’t feel overwhelmed by the task at hand.
- Set up some boxes – Keep – Donate – Sell – Trash
- Pack and label the boxes that you are keeping. This will get your home packed in no time at all.
- It is a great time to be ruthless, if you haven’t used something in the last 12 months, chances are you are not going to any time soon.
The benefits of decluttering
- With clutter, we can feel overwhelmed – clearing that clutter clears the overwhelm
- Decisions become easier when we are not burdened with too much stuff
- We can relax as there are not the pressures of ‘things’
- Moving time and costs will be less
- You have additional cash from selling unwanted items
- You feel good about donating to charity
- The new home really is a new beginning
- Your new home really is your castle and a place where you feel proud to invite family and friends
So when you are decluttering to move house know that John Bull will be ready to help. We can recommend services to help with your decluttering, packing and ultimately moving you to your new home. Contact John Bull Removals and Storage